As the request of a good friend, I created this blog to start some discussion about interesting topics. Religion and science are starting to converge, and I love to explore the implications of the latest knowledge mankind has unveiled. Most of this will be speculative, so take what you want from it. Please leave your thoughts as comments.
Sunday, October 23, 2011
Sharing Time
It seems everything is measurable these days, even how babies understand the concept of fairness. Researchers studied babies 15 months old and discovered that ones who had the hardest time grasping a video of adults splitting up food unequally were most likely the ones who would give up their preferred toy to a stranger. This idea of fairness and sharing seems to be a trait either built-in, or learned very early in life. The scientists divided the sharing test into three groups: those who would give up a toy they had just picked out, those who would give up their non-preferred toy, and those unwilling to give up their toy / did not understand the request. Which group would I fall into in general? Which group do you see yourself in? When we are asked to become like a little child in the scriptures, I'm guessing this is one of the characteristics. I wish the study was larger and could provide some statistics on how many babies fall into each of the three groups. I'm sure we all waiver between the three groups at different points in life. But being willing to give up your preferred toy/item is a decent measure of altruism and a good measuring stick to determine whether kindness or materialism is more important to you.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment